AVR London and Anise Gallery acquired The Old Chapel and Warehouse in October 2015. Comprised of a Zion Chapel (1878) and a light industrial warehouse (1971), the property is located on the Malham Road industrial estate. Ahead of anticipated planning permission for the commercial side of the building, the owners want to launch a temporary redesign of the space in the form of an open competition.
“We are looking to establish a new creative mini-hub targeting architecture and related industries who are in their start up / early years. Although temporary ahead of hopeful planning permission to develop the space along these lines on a more extensive level, we anticipate the redesign to be in place for at least 2 years.
The end goal (in the temporary and permanent) would be to develop a nomadic and cross disciplined work space. Alongside this is a strong focus on a communal exhibition and events space that we envisage being open to the public for specific events.
The current development envelope includes a 3000sq ft single storey warehouse and a 2000 sq ft outdoor yard area. It is situated within the industrial estate in Forest Hill. Adjacent to the warehouse space is the chapel building which the owners hope to gain residential permission on and is not part of the development brief.